Hemp Seed Oil vs MCT Oil
This is fat that you really shouldn’t cut out
If you’re wondering what the difference is between hemp seed oil, MCT oil and fish oil you’re not alone. The benefits of these in your diet is significant, but what’s also important is how and why we use hemp seed or MCT oil in CBD oil.
CBD needs to be carried in an medium. This is what transports the CBD into your bloodstream so it can do its work. There is such a thing as water-soluble CBD, but that’s an entirely different discussion. The majority of CBD products are in fats, because CBD in its natural state is attracted to fatty acids.
The most popular choices for a CBD carrier oil (aka medium) are these 2:
- Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) oil
- Hemp Seed Oil
They both have their benefits and they’re both good for you if they’re high quality products. So which one is better?
Hemp seed oil
It’s exactly what it sounds like. Hemp seed oil is made from the seeds of the cannabis sativa L. plant and they’re a superfood. Not only are they about 25% pure protein but they’re loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and, of course, oil.
The oil in hemp seeds is rich in Omega-3, 6 and 9 fatty acids. It’s important to understand the role of omega fatty acids in food and where you can get them from.
Benefits of Omega-3, 6 and 9 fatty acids
Your body needs them, but it can’t produce them. Omega fatty acids can only be obtained through the food that we eat. We have many choices when tying to obtain them in things like nuts, vegetable oil, fish, flaxseed and many others. Some of these benefits include:
- Lower tricglycerides (bad cholesterol) in your blood
- Reduce risk of heart disease
- Reduced risk of arthritis
- Reduced risk of brain disease and mental illness
Another really cool action of Omega fatty acids is that they interact with your endocannabinoid system. This, in theory would assist in CBD working with your endocannbinoid system as well.
Hemp seed oil vs fish oil
Hemp seeds in particular are a better option for omega fatty acids than fish oil for several reasons:
- They contain Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids which are not present in fish oil
- The ratios between Omega-3, 6 and 9 are perfect for a balanced diet, according to nutrition experts
- Hemp seed is digested much easier and less saturated than fish oil
- The plant is sustainable since it grows like crazy
Note on hemp seed oil: It does not contain CBD, THC or terpenes in the oil. Hemp seed oil is often confused with Hemp Oil or Hemp Extract which is the term some brands call their CBD oil products. Hemp oil from hemp seeds is nothing more than cold-pressed hemp seeds and is not the same as CBD oil.
Any omega fatty acid thins your blood naturally. Always consult with your physician about taking omegas if you’re taking blood thinners.
Medium chain triglyceride oil has become very popular in the last few years with the ketogenic diet. MCT oils provide some unique benefits that you cant get from Omega fatty acids:
- Not metabolized in the liver, they cross the blood-brain barrier and provide quick boosts of energy and alertness
- Aids in digestion
- May increase the bio-availabilty of CBD
MCT does not contain any fatty acids, it’s completely different than an Omega fatty acid complex.
A quick rundown on what MCT’s are:
- Triglycerides are composed of chains of carbon atoms. they can be short medium or long.
- Medium chain triglycerides are manmade and can be 6, 8, 10, and 12 atoms long.
- The ideal amount for taste, digestion and health benefits are 8 and 10 (called C8 and C10)
- Made from coconut oil or palm oil (sometimes a combo) via a process called fractionation
note: if you have an allergy to coconuts or coconut oil it’s possible that MCT from coconut oil will give you an allergic reaction
The superior oil
There isn’t one over the other. Not with the current evidence, anyway. They both have their benefits and they both are effective at what they’re intended to do: carry CBD into your blood stream. Both are great for your health so you can’t go wrong.
Why does Omnia Naturals choose hemp seed as its carrier oil?
- We love using as much of the hemp plant as we can in the process.
- Omega 3,6 and 9 fatty acids interact with the endocannabinoid system like CBD
- The nutritional values are very high
[ultimate-faqs include_category=’mct-vs-hso’ ]